On October 3rd, the United States Daughters of 1812, Scioto Valley Volunteers (SVV) Chapter, reverently held a dedication ceremony in Portsmouth’s Tracy Park of a memorial monument placed in memory of the veterans of the War of 1812.
Following the opening prayer by Chaplain Naomi Shewman, Ann Meyers led the Pledge of Allegiance, SVV President Gail Swick led the Salute to the Flag of 1812 and gave welcoming remarks. Chapter Joan Phillips provided a brief history of “Scioto County in the War of 1812.”
Beth Normand, Chapter Vice-President, recognized members of the Russell D. Williams, American Legion Post #471 of Portsmouth, directed by Color Guard Commander Bob Neal for their participation in the ceremony. Thanks of appreciation were given to Bob Swick for his kind donation of the expense for the professional installation of the monument, and Dwight Cropper was recognized for his volunteer photography service.
Special words of acknowledgment, and heartfelt appreciation, were given to the Flowers Monument Company of Lucasville for the very generous donation of the monument. Special guests attending the ceremony were AJ Phillips, Flowers Monument Company employee, and his wife Danielle (Flowers) Phillips.
Normand also expressed appreciation to Derek Allen, Portsmouth City Manager, for his expedient response to the SVV Chapter’s request to place the monument in the Park.
Words of dedication were given by SVV Chaplain Shewman, followed by a ceremonious “placing of the wreath” by SVV members Carolyn Hilliard and Marilyn Schomburg.
At the close of the benediction by Chaplain Shewman, the vibrating sound of “Taps” rendered by Mrs. Sandy Neal (Ladies Auxillary, Post #471) lingered in the misty air as SVV members stood in a moment of silence honoring the lives of the long-forgotten brave Scioto County volunteer citizens of 200 years ago.