In the past few years, Boneyfiddle Arts Center Inc. (BAC) has become a vital arts center in the community.
The Arts Center provides exhibition and professional development opportunities to artists and enriches the community through art.
Numerous activities are provided to the community each year with educational programs, adult and children’s art classes, art shows featuring local artists, photography competitions, community outreach exhibitions and projects, art contests, juried art shows, jewelry making, drumming circles and book signings, to name a few.
BAC is a membership based 501(c)3 non-profit visual arts center and exposition place. The purpose of Boneyfiddle Arts Center Inc. is to grow visual arts in the Portsmouth areaand to be a catalyst in the historic Boneyfiddle area.
The vision of Boneyfiddle Arts Center Inc. is to enrich the lives of artists and the community as a cultural center, arts educational facility and art gallery; encourage and promote the visual arts through changing exhibitions, workshops, classes and community outreach programs; to introduce art to non-artists; and to foster artist development and artistic talent.
Throughout the year Community Outreach projects were planned at the Arts Center. New events are added each year with workshops for both children and adults. Last year, free children’s watercolor classes and collage classes were introduced with the support of The City of Portsmouth grant. BAC featured four local artists with shows and receptions — John Haskins, Fatima Azimova, Kathy Kirby retrospective and Deborah Doll.
· The Center worked with Shawnee State University as judges for a student poster art show for “National Eating Disorders Week” at the university.
· In October, BAC annually presents a month long Mexican cultural celebration of the“Day of the Dead” with traditional Mexican folk art decorations, educational displays, and Sugar Skull decorating classes.
· BAC organized “An Eye for Art” community collage art project with more than 100 local artist participanting.
· The Arts Center collaborated with PAAC to judge and host their art contest, exhibit the winners and provided keepsake professional photos and art mugs to the contest winners.
· BAC held a juried Mixed Media Art Contest for adults and children sponsored by the City of Portsmouth Grant and the Scioto County Retired Teachers Association.
· The organization was selected by the State of Ohio to be one of the featured nonprofit organizations on their Web page in August.
Annual community & business memberships helped BAC provide general operating support to sustain the building, programs, free events, allowing local artists a place to display their work, and maintain a gathering place for artists.
“We are growing and we look forward to continued growth,” Board Chair Jamie Benedict said. “With the help of the community, and our hard working volunteer board, this year will be even bigger and better than last year. We are grateful for the support of the Scioto Foundation which allowed us to obtain much needed equipment for the Arts Center and all of the amazing public support we receive.”